[pianotech] Sound from strings

Renee Ingeberg ringeberg at mac.com
Tue Mar 31 02:22:51 PDT 2009

I wrote some days ago about the sound coming from the strings in a
grand piano, after the sustain pedal is depressed. The question came
from a customer in one of the studios where I tune. I have heard, from
a very good technician here that putting microphones under the grand
can be a solution but that is another subject...
I have noticed that the amount of sound coming from any instrument
varies in this respect and there can be a substantial amount of noise
coming from new instruments.  I tuned a new grand the other day and
there was more sound coming from the strings, when the pedal is
lifted, than from an old grand, for example. So I am wondering what
the cause of this could be.  Any suggestions are welcome.

In the latest Journal, there were some really good articles on aural
tuning. I especially liked the mention of creativity, being in contact
with the piano and 'coloring'. Over the years and tuning all sorts of
pianos, it's really a matter of trying to 'conceal' or cover up the
inconsistencies and making the best possible result.

Renee