[pianotech] Ethics and efficacy of part-time tuning

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 31 07:04:25 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 7:35 AM, Gerald Groot <tunerboy3 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Well, you don't have to be snotty about it.

I have no objection to part-time technicians. my mentor is now a part timer
after many years of 12 and 14 hour days.
I have no objection to part-time techs who are establishing themselves, I
was, in fact, one of those.

My objection is to the part timers who make no attempt to better themselves,
have no contact with any of the techs in the region, do not seek out the
local PTG chapter but just continue on their merry way repeating the same
mistakes over and over, ad infinitum. In a those cases I have made attempts
to seek them out, one accepted, the others weren't interested.

We all have done work we would rather not admit to years later, not on
purpose, just as we were learning.
My favorite analogy is driving. Right after you got your license you were
certain you knew everything you needed to know about driving, looking back
now, you wonder how you survived!
Mike
--

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404