[pianotech] Hammer Line Issue

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed May 6 21:27:01 PDT 2009

At 22:25 -0400 6/5/09, wimblees at aol.com wrote:

>Matthew
>
>This is a capstan problem. Tighten the action bracket, and adjust
>the capstans on the keys. The hammer shanks should be resting on the
>rest rail.

I don't think so.  It's more likely the hammers closer to the strings
(the less used ones) are closer to the factory regulation, which, so
far as I remember on these pianos, leaves the hammers clear of the
rail.  The rail should be adjusted to follow the correct hammer line
once the proper blow is regulated and NOT vice versa.  This is the
rule with all uprights.

JD