[pianotech] Hammer Line Issue

David Lawson Pianos dlawson at davidlawsonspianos.com.au
Wed May 6 21:41:26 PDT 2009

Hi Tom,

I'm not a tuner. I work in a piano shop and the owner goes tuning on the days I'm in the shop. I have been taught some basic maintenance, including refelting, key leveling etc. and taking up lost motion, on 2nd hand pianos we get in the shop.
What intrigued me about Todd's problem, and this may even have been what Todd was asking, is how does a piano get into that condition? Is there some other issue that would cause the problem? On pianos I've taken up lost motion in, it seems to be a uniform amount for each section.

Regards,
Alastair McLean
David Lawson's Pianos
Wangaratta