[pianotech] Hammer Line Issue

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu May 7 02:02:59 PDT 2009

BINGO!

Alastair, not a piano tuner, got it! But the several experienced piano techs previously responding didn't? Paul McCloud is on the right track also.

Todd originally wrote: "Kawai Console, year 1986. The very first thing I noticed was the hammer line was totally screwed up."

When was the last time you went to a 23-year old good quality piano and found that the "hammer line was totally screwed up" - and there wasn't some other underlying cause - other than capstan adjustment? A 100-year-old upright - sure, but a not-terribly-old Kawai? I don't think so. Unless some child got in there and purposely turned capstans up and down willy-nilly, there is most likely some other underlying reason the hammer line is out of whack.

Sticky keys? Felt under keys chewed up by rodents/bugs? Wippen/capstan felt falling off? Squirrels depositing acorns under keys? Gee, I don't know - pinblock separation? Heck, growing action brackets? I'd sure recommend to Tom to spend a few minutes checking the entire piano out before simply turning some capstans. It may turn out that turning capstans is all it needs, but IMHO, the unusual circumstances justify spending a little time looking for other causes.

Tom, IMHO you showed insight beyond what some possibly more experienced piano techs have shown by posing the question in the first place. Good call. Let us know how this one shakes out.

Terry Farrell