[pianotech] Cheek Block removal question...

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun May 17 09:00:56 MDT 2009

On Sat, 16 May 2009 19:57:47 -0500 "Ken & Pat Gerler"
<kenneth.gerler at prodigy.net> wrote:

> Larry,
> I hope by now you have solved the problem. I ran into this on a Story
> & Clark made by Yamaha. When the piano was moved the movers "swapped"
> the legs unknowingly. I looked at the legs an noted a hole in the rear
> of each leg. Found a way to prop the piano and swapped the legs and
> was then able to access the cheekblock hold-down screw accessible
> through that hole in the leg.
>
> Ken Gerler
Ken, Larry

I had a slightly different permutation of this issue. On an old Welte
grand (no, not the player - Thank G-d) the legs were held on by 2 screws
each - no leg plates. The screws, of course, stripped out and some
genius just drilled new screwholes in a different location - the block
screws thus being obscured by the relocation of the legs. Since I had
the piano in my shop for restringing and some action work, I convinced
the guy to have leg pl;ates put in. the piano movers helped out by
telling the guy when they moved the piano that the setup he had was not
safe. i had the movers turn the piano over onto movers pads (much safer
than working with the piano on its side) and I installed leg and lyre
plates - which located the front legs back where they were supposed to
be and made the thing safe, here in earthquake country. I'm not sure the
piano was worth all the money he put into it - but he insisted. Anyway,
fitting, locating and attaching the leg plates was a fun job, especially
since the cutouts for the plates were already there (had to enlarge them
a bit, though). I don't understand why they made the cutouts for the
plates at the factory - but never put them in ...

Israel Stein