[pianotech] Tokiwa, renner, steinway?

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Tue May 19 16:02:50 MDT 2009

HI Terry:

I put 2 sets of the Abel Natural Felt hammers on Steinways.  The first was
a 30 year old Steinway L about a year and a half ago as I was rescuing this
much played action from the excesses of aging Teflon.  My experience was
that they needed a fair amount less needling than the Abel Encores that I
have used many times in the past.  5 to 7 sets of 3 deep needling into the
shoulders in the middle part of the piano, tapering to about 2 sets of 3 at
the top.  A second round of needling settled them down nicely after they
brightened up a bit.  Since then, some occasional voicing as I am tuning.
The second set was on a 1923 M. with similar responses to needling.  My take
is that it is a nice sounding hammer that will not "rebound" endlessly as
Renner Blues are prone to do.

Will Truitt