[pianotech] Steinway A Bass String Rescaling

JUDE REVELY juderev at verizon.net
Fri May 22 19:03:02 MDT 2009

I've always taken the numbers to relate to tuning as a function of
stiffness. The fact that they are not literal representations of our ideal
tuning curves is only an indication that our understanding of the problem
has a long way yet to evolve. The formulae may be incomplete or perhaps just
a foggy picture; but even Einstein's Theory of Relatively has holes (at
least according to many current string theorists, not having crunched the
numbers myself ;).

The other remaining question is, can an acceptable range of inharmonicity
ever be determined objectively?

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts