[pianotech] Steinway A Bass String Rescaling

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat May 23 08:20:17 MDT 2009

JUDE REVELY wrote:

> I've always taken the numbers to relate to tuning as a function of
> stiffness. The fact that they are not literal representations of our
> ideal tuning curves is only an indication that our understanding of the
> problem has a long way yet to evolve.

Oh, right, it's a mystery. Since when has an inharmonicity
formula ever been intended to be a literal representation of
an ideal tuning curve?

>The formulae may be incomplete or
> perhaps just a foggy picture; but even Einstein's Theory of Relatively
> has holes (at least according to many current string theorists, not
> having crunched the numbers myself ;).

More misdirection.

> The other remaining question is, can an acceptable range of
> inharmonicity ever be determined objectively?

Not by minimally cleaning up existing scales, that is certain.
And one more time, how do you separate inharmonicity from the
other scaling parameters to find out?
Ron N