[pianotech] Removing a Steinway Pinblock

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sun May 24 20:18:34 MDT 2009

Hey Al,

I also use a jack when using Alcohol (though I won't mix with water any
more, thanks JD).  However, rather than a bottle jack, I use one of the mini
pinblock support jacks with a block under the end of the pinblock.  Just
make sure to let the Alcohol do most of the work and not get too carried
away with cranking (pumping) up the jack.  I can't imagine it would ever
happen, but I'd hate to have the wrong joint fail.  I tend to err on the
side of caution.

William R. Monroe

 Thanks to all who have replied.