[pianotech] Removing a Steinway Pinblock

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon May 25 14:27:27 MDT 2009

At 14:13 -0400 25/5/09, Ed  Sutton wrote:

>Is alcohol useful for softening all kinds of glue, or just hide glue?

I'm not sure, Ed, because I've only ever used it for separating
animal glue glue-lines.  I think 'softening' is not the key word.  Of
course the glue will be softened with prolonged contact with alcohol
and the water it usually contains in some small proportion, but what
I think the alcohol does is almost instantaneously destroy the
mechanical bond by finding its way rapidly right along the tiny
fingers of glue that hold the wood together.  Whether it has any
effect also on the polar bond, I don't know.

The application of some degree of pressure, with a jack, a knife, a
lever etc. depending on the joint in question, tending to open up the
joint, is to allow the alcohol to travel further into the glue-line
once it has begun its work, so that it does not just sit in one place
softening the glue and not getting anywhere.  As the joint gradually
opens up and more alcohol is fed in, you usually hear a crackling
sound as the 'fingers' release their grip.

I should emphasize that we are talking of ethyl alcohol.  Methyl
alcohol would probably do the same thing, but I doubt whether
isopropyl alcohol would be effective, not that I've tried it.

JD