[pianotech] Steinway A Bass String Rescaling

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue May 26 10:43:35 MDT 2009

David Love wrote:
> The discussion I would like to see is an analysis of various types of
> transition bridges especially with respect to jumps in inharmonicity that
> can happen and how much of a jump can be tolerated without creating real
> tuning problems.

It's been my experience that when you get to make your own
bridges and string scale, you can get smooth transitions in
tension, Z, and inharmonicity all at once. This is at the
expense of break% transitions.

I don't know how anyone else does it, but I go back and forth
between piano and spreadsheet until I get something that works
on paper, will physically fit in the piano, and is in my
judgment most likely to work tonally.

Ron N