[pianotech] Steinway A Bass String Rescaling

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue May 26 11:47:29 MDT 2009

It's that judgment that I'm interested in.  I go back and forth as well.
The best "spreadsheet" fit often involves a fairly radical shortening of the
speaking lengths such that the original designs that employed that modified
the strike point with a new agraffe line.   I'm not interested in doing that
and so have kept my own modifications of the speaking lengths more
conservative although that tends to cause a drop in the inharmonicity curve
and an increase in the BP% farther than I would normally go.  Spreadsheet
also don't always necessarily make for perfect tonal transitions for reasons
unknown to me, even though they are certainly better than the precipitous
tension drop offs characteristic of the original.  Are you totally satisfied
with the tonal characteristics of the transitions and, if not, how would you
characterize the tonal differences that you experience across those breaks
(difficult to answer I know).

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com