[pianotech] SSM evaluation

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Wed May 27 15:07:50 MDT 2009

In a message dated 5/27/2009 3:57:50 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
nelsong at intune88.com writes:

> So did the back bearing change you made that made the  piano sound better
> work because of the back bearing angle change, or  the net bearing
change.
> I pick door number 2.
> Ron N
With  this in mind: (out of curiousity)
Which way would you move the alaquot on  this SSM in the F5 area of the
board
where negative bearing was measured  with the intent of reducing negative
bearing - the string slopes up toward  the alaquot from the bridge.
It is the only reasonable direction to move it if you were to move it at
all. Which you might not want to.

Could doing this eliminate the minimal available crown of about 1mm  that
was
measured?
Possibly, probably? Out of the frying pan? The bearing condition is
reflective more of the crown condition than anything else. Based on what you've
said, it sounds as if this board is trying to die.

Could an added response possibly be that the positive front bearing  at the
top treble part of the bridge would increase?
It might marginally, but I can't really see how unless there is a drastic
reshaping of the crown condition by decreasing that negative bearing.

Gene

(http://www.whereitsat.com/?ncid=emlwenew00000004)