[pianotech] Bass bridge repair

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Wed May 27 16:29:09 MDT 2009

I have a learning/project piano with bass bridge damage. I've purchased WEST
SYSTEM 105 epoxy resin, 206 (slow) hardener, and HD 404 filler. (Primarily
in anticipation of future needs, but also to practice on this project
piano.)

For the tenor end (second pic) I'm planning to follow Terry Farrell's
procedure outlined in this post:
https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2007-August/209310.html
Questions...
(1) I understand that epoxy should not be clamped tightly, right? So do I
just draw it "most of the way together" with clamps and let it cure with
spring clamps, or just use spring clamps?
(2) Is it proper to just epoxy the bridge pins in, or do you apply a mold
release of some sort? If so, what?
(3) Going down the bridge to the left (first pic) there are little splitlets
at each speaking-length-side hole. Should I use unthickened epoxy, thin CA,
Medium CA, or just leave it??

Thanks!
Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN