[pianotech] Bass bridge repair

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun May 31 08:10:37 MDT 2009

I would recap the bass bridge (or both bridges if they both look like this).
Even with the plate in the piano you can recap the bass bridge, though it's
a bit more difficult.  If the plate is coming out of the piano I would
definitely recap the bridge.  Otherwise, the small hairline cracks are
probably of little consequence and could be repaired under ordinary
circumstances by using methods that have been outlined previously on the
list:  Remove pins, inject epoxy, and coat bridge top, sand flat, renotch,
redrill, insert pins.  The larger split you would only attempt to repair in
an emergency situation where you had not chance to deal with it by
recapping: pull pins, inject epoxy with thickener so it doesn't ooze all
over the place, lightly clamp to pull things back together, clean up squeeze
out, insert new pins, carefully clean up more squeeze out using a magnifying
glass or, if possible, wait and redrill but you will need some way of
redefining exactly where the holes will go otherwise you're drilling onto an
angled surface which can be tricky.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com