[pianotech] Bass bridge repair

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun May 31 11:25:10 MDT 2009

HI Paul:

I will second Ron on the use of delignit as the capping material, with a
slight variation.  I've used the delignit bridge capping material that you
can get from the supply houses to good effect when repairing bass bridges.
I's a very hard and serviceable material, relatively inexpensive, and it
works well for these kinds of repairs.  If it weren't so damn ugly, I'd use
it for treble bridges in grands.

Sometimes it is easy to get the whole bridge off, and sometimes it isn't.
It depends on how much of the root is under the plate, and how much the
beams limit your access to the buttons and screws in the back.

You will want to put the piano on a tilter and set in on its back.  Also, it
is much easier to work on if you unscrew the bottom board, it gets the
pedals out of the way.

Much of the time I am removing the cap from the root.  Before doing that,
you will want to drill two or 3 pilot holes vertically through the cap and
into the apron.  When gluing the new cap onto the apron, I usually use about
5 screws to clamp it in place.  I drill those holes on the drill press and
countersink them.  Then, when I am at the piano, I index to the pins, and
center punch through my holes into the apron top.  After I apply the glue, I
leave it overnight before adding strings back and starting to tune.

I say go for it - no guts, no glory.  After all, it's only a 1935 Howard,
and you have to start somewhere.  Just take it one step at a time.  You will
encounter no lack of vertical pianos that will need this kind of bridgework,
so if you can develop this skill, that is more money in your pocket.

Good luck!

Will Truitt