[pianotech] Pitch Change (was: Grey market pianos, seasoned pianos, etc.)

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Fri Apr 2 22:15:30 MDT 2010

Trying to understand how a lossy termination results in a lower pitch, I
imagine that there is an effective elongation of the speaking length due
to the reduced rigidity of the drier wood parts in the cap and root of
the bridge, and possibly the board, and that there is an effective
shortening of the speaking length when those parts are made more rigid
by the uptake of moisture. In other words, a less stiff termination is
more likely to move with the vibration of the string and so the actual
point of termination has to be somewhere behind the bridge pin.

Tom Cole