[pianotech] Pitch Change (was: Grey market pianos, seasoned pianos, etc.)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Apr 2 22:38:24 MDT 2010

Thomas Cole wrote:
> Trying to understand how a lossy termination results in a lower pitch, I
> imagine that there is an effective elongation of the speaking length due
> to the reduced rigidity of the drier wood parts in the cap and root of
> the bridge, and possibly the board, and that there is an effective
> shortening of the speaking length when those parts are made more rigid
> by the uptake of moisture. In other words, a less stiff termination is
> more likely to move with the vibration of the string and so the actual
> point of termination has to be somewhere behind the bridge pin.

Effectively, yea, that's it. It's been observed and noted (if
not quantified to infinity) in actual trials. A flexible
termination acts like a longer speaking length than a rigid
termination. In a piano, this would translate into a string of
given tension on  the high humidity (higher
compression/stiffer) board producing a higher pitch than the
same string at the *same tension* on a dryer (lower
compression/more flexible) board. It makes it a lot harder to
come up with a simple consumer grade one sentence specific
explanation of why pianos go out of tune with humidity
changes, but I'm becoming more convinced that it's a real factor.
Ron N