[pianotech] Ivers & Pond Upright #24422 (John Ross)

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 14:16:01 MDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Chuck Behm <behmpiano at gmail.com> wrote:

> >You say you replaced a few butt plates.
>  I always replace them all, to cut down on future problems.
> John Ross<
>
> Ditto on that. Whenever one of a set of something breaks, the entire set is
> suspect. That goes for such things as jack springs, bridle straps, hammer
> butt springs, plastic elbows, etc. The problem with replacing just the
> currently broken ones is that more are bound to break down the road. I would
> say replace them all. Chuck

I found a "paper" someone had written about the annealling process, when I
"volunteered" to report to my chapter about it, on Google. From the notes on
there  I determined that you could anneal a brass rail in your kitchen range
at about 550 degrees.

I laid a 16" ceramic tile in the oven, placed the rall cornerwise to keep it
flat, heated it to 550 for an hour then allowed it to cool overnight, it was
then malleable. As were the brass flanges I laid out on the tile,
separately.

Mike

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

   Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service