[pianotech] Pinblock expensive experiment

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Apr 7 09:31:21 MDT 2010

Reasonable point. I look like his table is pretty stiff and the
clamping stock is big - but your point is well taken. It would be
especially germane if he was gluing up with Titebond or some other
sort of wood glue that requires significant pressure for a good bond.
However, he is using urea-formaldehyde (two-part I presume), which is
an adhesive that "cures" like epoxy and is an excellent gap filler. So
all he really has to do is apply minimum pressure to keep the parts in
alignment. Assuming he didn't crank down hard on the clamps, he is fine.

That being said, I usually vacuum bag when I cap a block. Or if I am
clamping, I will sandwich my project pinblock and cap between two
other uncut pinblocks and clamp directly like you describe.

Terry Farrell