[pianotech] Fwd: Pinblock expensive experiment

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 8 06:10:58 MDT 2010

List folks - Del Fandrich responded directly to me regarding a recent
post I made to the pianotech list. He made a point that I was not
aware of regarding urea-formaldehyde adhesives. In practice I've
always applied at least moderate pressure when using urea-
formaldehyde, but I did suggest that isn't even necessary - apparently
it is. I stand corrected, and don't want to spread any mis-information.

And thanks Del for setting me straight!!!

Terry Farrell

Hi Terry, I'm in Korea at the moment so -- due to limitations with my
normal service provider -- I can read pianotech but I can't post
anything.

What caught my eye was this:
However, he is using urea-formaldehyde (two-part I presume), which is
an adhesive that "cures" like epoxy and is an excellent gap filler. So
all he really has to do is apply minimum pressure to keep the parts in
alignment. Assuming he didn't crank down hard on the clamps, he is fine.

Unless uf adhesives have changed quite a bit recently they tend to be
rather poor gap-fillers. They will certainly fill gaps and cure but
the thick glueline has considerably reduced strength. It tends to
become "crumbly" over time often simply coming apart. Fillers can be
added that will improve its gap-filling qualities a little bit but it
will never reach the gap-filling qualities of a good epoxy.

ddf

--
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication Consultant