[pianotech] A better tip wrench that you already have!

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 11:11:48 MDT 2010

Ryan,

I intended to respond to this earlier -- oops. Gosh, I must not have been
awake when I wrote that. Clearly the Levitan lever was designed to avoid
needing to change HEADS and not tips. Sorry, *my* head obviously wasn't
working. :-)

Perhaps I'm just plain lazy, but I use a Watanabe #2 tip on my Fujan lever
for all pianos. It works well enough for all that I don't personally see the
need for changing tips. I can see the potential or theoretical benefit from
a better fit on a tuning pin. But ... I don't know if chasing around the
*best* fit and changing tips that often would work for me. I suppose I've
learned to compensate.

That being said, I do prefer a Jahn tip to a Watanabe, and particularly a #3
for most pianos. However, since it doesn't fit on the Fujan without making a
custom-machined part, I just git-r-done with the Watanabe.

Not saying my head is working today either, but there you have it. :-)

--
JF