[pianotech] How NOT to move a grand piano

Allan Gilreath, RPT allangilreath at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 11 09:45:26 MDT 2010

Good morning all,

There's something interesting that I haven't see mentioned in this
thread: some of the best dollies now available feature swivel locks so
that one can have the security of straight wheels or the convenience of
swivel wheels. And the swivel lock can be engaged or disengaged while
the piano is on the dollie. We use both metal frame 4-wheel dollies in
this configuration as well as a metal grand moving board outfitted with
lockable swivel casters as well. These dollies aren't cheap but how much
does it cost to replace a piano?

I stopped using wood frame dollies long ago after having one split with
a 6'6" grand on a skid on top of the dollie. Yes, the piano was saved.

Another item I see in the picture presented is he use of a tuck-under
liftgate on the truck rather than a rail-lift. A rail lift goes straight
up and down while the tuck-under swings due to the nature of the hinging.

Allan
Allan Gilreath, RPT
Registered Piano Technician

President - Allan Gilreath & Associates, Inc.
website - www.allangilreath.com <http://www.allangilreath.com>
email - allan at allangilreath.com <mailto:allan at allangilreath.com>
phone - 706 602-7667

--