[pianotech] X-Ratcheting Counter Bearing Shim

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sun Apr 11 20:45:28 MDT 2010

 David I. writes:

>I like it, I have not had a lot of luck with protek on the understring
felt.
>You do need to have contact with the felt though or you have some ringing?

Greetings,
   Gee, this is more work than I have ever had to do. I have had great success with Pro-tek!   I use about one eyedropper full for maybe 6
 notes,  putting it directly on the center string. It seems to wick under the other two.  I have never had a problem with creep or contamination,
and even the most "ratchity" pianos have been able to tune smoothly.  The worst is some of the Knabe pianos. They have a steeper angle behind
the agraffes than any other piano I have seen, and some of them were impossible to tune, until I doped the felt.  Then they were a piece of cake.

Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/index.html>