[pianotech] X-Ratcheting Counter Bearing Shim

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 08:12:27 MDT 2010

David Love wrote:
> I've produced this method of counterbearing and tried inserting felt between
> the agraffes as well as not.

In this counterbearing setup, am I correct that you are referring mainly
to the tenor section?

In the configuration David and Ron posted, was the termination angle at
the aggraffe also low?

I've had this situation in a small instrument where it would have been
beneficial to lift the string off the felt as well as give it some
counterbearing. But since the angle coming off the aggraffe was already
adequate or pushing high, further raising the string on a new
counterbearing bar would have pushed the termination angle too high,
creating its own rendering problems.  In this particular situation, it
seems like damed if you do and damned if you don't

Any comment on this?

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio