[pianotech] tool cases

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 16 12:29:47 MDT 2010

Hi Paul,

I took the lining out of an old briefcase (light card backing) and used CA glue to attach strips of elastic like a friend did when he modified this pallet in the picture. I also broke my fingers sewing some Velcro in places. It's ugly, but it works.

In the meantime I've thought about making another one. I've got a couple designs in mind. The first is I'd make a cloth face with all the stuff I want, then sew a cloth backing to it so it would be the shape of a (small) pillow case--or if you wanted a two sided pallet, make the other face with pockets, etc.. Then I'd use spay adhesive (or some sort of glue) on some cardboard, slip the cardboard inside the, uh, pillow case..so to speak. Then I'd stitch up the open side using the sewing machine. Seems like it would work.

Since it's all about having lightweight and not bulky stuff (well, for me it is), I thought about designing the pallet with all the pockets, etc. that I wanted and then attaching a grid of boning to the back. I remembered boning from making a bunch of madrigal costumes about 20 years ago:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd49825

Lots of possibilities!

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois