[pianotech] Pully keys

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 19 11:57:27 MDT 2010

Would CBS had owned Steinway at that time?   We saw many unimpressive Steinways in the 70's out of New York.

>I had to remove all the cradles to scrape out from each about an
>ounce of hardened tallow and graphite and the same delightful stuff
>seems to have been used to lubricate the balance holes, to what
>purpose heaven knows.  This would prevent the adhesion or absorption
>of the various products I'd considered as a solution to the pully
>keys.

Cradles are key buttons?   You had to steam them off to clean inside the key?   I doubt the lubricants came from Steinway.   I usually use a bit of thinned water/glue...which won't work in your case...

Do you consider modern day Kluge key sets too soft?   I don't run into a lot of pulley keys unless a previous tech has eased them too much.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044