[pianotech] Hammerheads resting on Backchecks when hammer is at rest

Mark & Janine Davis pianofortetechnology at saol.com
Mon Apr 19 12:29:36 MDT 2010

Greetings List

I am needing to regulate an old C. Bechstein grand which has had some work
done on it in the not so distant past.  The grand is about 100 years old.
What I plan to do is 1. Lubricate, 2. Align, 3. Regulate/Adjust wherever
necessary as best as possible.

One thing I am not sure of is the hammerheads are resting against the
backchecks when at rest, even to the point that if you push the backcheck
away from the hammer, the hammer drops back down onto the rebound cushion.
I am aware that the hammerblow needs to be set and that by doing this the
shanks will be held up and off the rebound cushion and that the capstans
will need to be adjusted in order for this to take place.

The little experimenting that I have done is to check if the hammer still
rests against the backcheck even when the capstan is adjusted so the hammer
is being held up and off the rebound cushion by the wippen/repetition
lever/jack and not by the backcheck, but the hammer is still resting against
the backcheck.  This problem is in the middle and bass sections of the
piano, the treble does not seem to have this problem.

The piano action with the keys and keyframe were removed from the piano and
brought to me after the keys were rebushed.  I do not know what the
situation will be once the hammerblow is worked out and adjusted for at the
piano.  I do not think that it will be different?

Are the hammers resting against the backchecks a problem?  And if so, how do
I sort it out?

Your advise will be much appreciated!!!

Thank you,

Best regards,