[pianotech] Hammerheads resting on Backchecks when hammer is at rest

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 19 13:08:24 MDT 2010

I would regulate the blow distance, letoff/drop to specs.   Then check that the hammers are checking properly, i.e. the backcheck not to close to the hammer tail.  When hammer is moved through letoff/drop the top of the backcheck should be just a little bit below the hammer tail.   Since you are not going to do any big repairs such as lower backchecks, if that was the problem, I'd make the hammer blow a little closer that spec to solve the problem.   You don't want the hammer touching the backcheck at rest.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044