[pianotech] Pully keys

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 00:55:13 MDT 2010

At 20:38 -0400 19/4/10, jimialeggio wrote:

>There is so much mumbo-jumbo to wade through... When I did my first
>key re-proportion job I made new quarter sawn maple shoes.  I got no
>end of blabbering from experienced techs warning that they would
>click and make noises.
>
>They didn't make noise, but  it sure  made me second guess what I
>was doing.  JD, in your experience do these  harder balance holes
>tend to make a racket?

Mumbo-jumbo is the word, if it's not hocus-pocus. The only reason for
using plain pine keys on a concert piano, liable to be attacked by
keyboard-pushing prima donnas, is to cut costs.  And Kluge had used a
particularly soft piece of cheap fir for this keyboard; to keep
things quiet? More likely to keep Steinways sweet with a low price.
Same thing with Renner.  You should see the jack spoons on this
action.  They bear no resemblance to the originally conceived spoon,
which had a neat flat face; instead the button felt wraps round their
mis-shapen face so that I can guess now I have regulated the jacks
I'll need to go back in a year's time to take up the re-settling.

JD