[pianotech] Clean up ivory stains

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 10:40:01 MDT 2010

At 10:19 -0300 20/4/10, John Ross wrote:

>After you get the residue off, the stain will probably still be there.
>It will then need to be bleached.
>I have heard of bleach that will do the job, being available at a
>hairdressers.

I use it all the time -- Cream Peroxide 18%, but you must use it with
sunlight or ultra-violet light for it to have any effect.  The UV is
slower but you don't risk so many fronts popping off as if you use
the sun.  You can use liquid peroxide but you need to be running back
and forth painting the keys with it and you'll go blind if you do it
in the sun.

I find the best way to do it is one thick coat of cream peroxide
overnight under the UV strips.  Then wipe this off and apply another
thick coat and leave them all day under the strips.  That will be
enough for the average job, but more peroxide and more time will
eventually remove all stains.

The ivory will swell slightly, so after wiping off the cream leave
the keys for a few hours before doing any polishing.

JD