[pianotech] Clean up ivory stains

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 14:40:01 MDT 2010

At 15:44 -0300 20/4/10, John Ross wrote:

>I had forgotten the name, hydrogen peroxide.
>Most places just carry the 3%, but 30% is what is needed, with sunlight.

Well I have always used 18% or 12% (60 vols or 40 vols) and it works
fine and is cheap.  I get the cream peroxide from a hairdressers'
wholesaler and I think they've now discontinued the 18% cream, so
when I run out I'll have to make do with 12%, but that's fine.  There
really is no need to buy bomb-strength peroxide unless you want to
blow the piano up, which, admittedly, is a fairly frequent urge!

Two four-foot UV strip-lights in parallel will just about straddle a
keyboard.  I keep them about 4 inches above the ivory.

JD