[pianotech] pully keys

Mike Morvan keymaestro at verizon.net
Tue Apr 20 10:33:35 MDT 2010

John,
    Sorry for the confusion, hot melt is a gummy, plastic type of glue  like
PVC-E that can be spread onto bushing cloth, allowed to dry and they
inserted into mortises and buttons. It is then heat activated to make it's
bond. It's the current production method of bushing keys. I did not mean to
confuse hot melt with hot hide glue which we use for bushings and feel is
best.
    I have not seen any maple used on vintage Steinways, they did have caps
on the top of the key and shoes on the bottoms of some models as you stated,
but the ones I have seen were all basswood. Basswood is harder than
sugarpine or spruce and is a hardwood, but  a soft one at that.
    Good luck, balance holes are tricky to replace. Please be aware that
several of the methods of fixing balance holes that are available as kits
and some of the shimming methods mentioned, all fail to take into
consideration where the balance hole was originally. If the original
location of the balance hole is not determined prior to some type of repair,
than the key position can be off in relation to the pins and neighboring
keys. This will be visible and have regulation consequences.   Mike

BLACKSTONE VALLEY PIANO
Michael A. Morvan
76 Sutton Street
Uxbridge, Ma 01569