[pianotech] D Hammers

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Tue Apr 20 15:39:27 MDT 2010

But in order to strike on the line the heads in the bass will need to
be angled slightly to the right and in the tenor slightly to the
left, which is to say that the hammer rail is not drilled to the
strike-points, and this is the question :  did Theodore Steinway have
a good scientific reason for not doing so.

 Nah, I  don't think so. I believe it is more cumulative error between the plate drilling, the bridge notches, hammer rail.  I don't see this happening much in pre-1950 Steinways, but by the mid 60's, all bets were off on consistancy.

Ed Foote RPT

  =