[pianotech] Pitman

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu Apr 22 08:38:28 MDT 2010

Matthew,
 More info? Assuming this is a sustain pitman that connects the trap lever to the tray it will usually be a wood dowel. Bring the correct diameter  dowel ( If you are not sure buy 3 or 4 sizes ) that is purchased from that big hardware store and brought to the piano along with a small saw . You can replicate the correct length by using a hammer shank as a sample. With the action out , cut the shank in stages until  you get the correct length. The  pedal will be at rest and the shank-pitman is in contact with both the tray and the lever to resulting in  some lost motion .You don't want the tray to contact the damper levers when at rest. Then there is no guesswork with the real pitman.You may have to drill a hole in an end(s) for a pin ,add cloth punchings or do whatever to duplicate the design required.
 Easy Peasey.
 Tom D.

        Dear friends,

        I have a Cable & Sons Grand (early 1920's), that has a missing pitman.  After looking in both Schaff and PianoTek I realize that this is something I may need to make on my own.  It doesn't look to complicated, however, I would like to make sure I take the appropriate and accurate measurements so I can make one to do as little adjusting as possible when I am through.

        Comments please, thanks.

        Matthew Todd