[pianotech] Quickbooks Payroll Rant

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Apr 25 05:37:20 MDT 2010

Thanks Paul:

As noted before, the issue of upgrades was forced upon me (and the other QB Payroll users) by Intuit because of our use of the Payroll software, which is a paid subscription that is updated yearly.  I used to use QB Basic too, it is really all I needed, but Intuit forced me to upgrade to Pro when I started using the Payroll software.  Literally the only feature I require from Pro is the ability to integrate with Payroll.

I liked the earlier versions of QB better because they run faster.  QB has become bloated pigware and it is buggy too.  Now that I am going off their Payroll software, I could use Basic, but I don’t want to give them another dime.  My bookkeeper has been doing her work for about 25 years fulltime as an employee elsewhere.  I repeat her comment to me yesterday that she had traced my payroll input through the QB payroll structure, which she said I had input correctly in the right place with the right information when I did each payroll, yet it did not post properly in the system and zero out as it should.  I got myself to do this correctly each time by creating two Excel spreadsheets that I manually input data in each time I do a payroll.  One to record each payroll, and the other to calculate the monthly deposits for taxes due the IRS.  That way I am on the straight and narrow with the IRS, no matter if QB misbehaves.  And it is less of a magical mystery tour for my bookkeeper and accountant at the end of the year when they are trying to get everything to balance out.  That’s not to say I don’t make errors, I do, but this method has virtually eliminated my errors of input into the Payroll system.

Even if Payroll Mate builds an export link to QB, we decided the path of least resistance and least likelihood of error would be for me to make manual entries into the Journal in QB each time I did payroll.   Sometimes you have to work hard to be simple.

What’s an NFP?

Will