[pianotech] Slow drop fallboard hinge for YC

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 26 15:02:04 MDT 2010

When we had  Y.C. pianos, I used to install the slow close bellows from QRS.
I’m not sure they still have them, but you could contact them.  Installation
isn’t that difficult, and involves drilling through the keyframe and keybed,
then mounting a small pneumatic bellows below the piano.  They work ok, but
I’ve had the screw-eye come loose from the fallboard, so you may need to use
a longer screw eye, etc.  They use a small cable to connect the bellows to
the rear edge of the fallboard.   It’s a kinda funky system, but it works.
There are/were two different units.  They used to offer (still do?) a system
that is entirely inside the action cavity, but there’s not enough room for
proper function.  I somehow managed to install one, but wasted loads of time
in the process, and removing the fallboard with one installed is déjà-vue
all over again.  I somehow think they discontinued that model.

FWIW.

                Paul McCloud

                San Diego