[pianotech] FW: castor for piano

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Tue Apr 27 15:07:34 MDT 2010

That almost looks like what happens when someone installs a set of  Darnell
replacement casters improperly.
I just replaced a set, that had been replaced on a Yamaha U1.
The wooden caster bushings were too small to fill the cavity, so they gave
no support to the caster socket. It then 'wobbled', and broke the sleeve on
the socket. The wheel, then wobbled and got chewed up, making score marks
where the caster frame rubbed on the wood.
The proper fix would have been to make larger wooden bushings that filled
the hole. But I wasn't at my shop.
I took some gasket material, inserted it in the cavity, around the socket
sleeve. It was tight, needing to be hammered in. The socket was then tight.
I screwed it in putting some caster washers I had made from hardboard,
rather than the cardboard ones you can buy.
This brings the wheel above the surface so that the caster frame doesn't
bind.
This raises the piano a bit, but the alternative is to route out the wood to
allow free rotation.
Some people us plate casters, but I find that it raises the pedals too far
off the floor.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia