[pianotech] Glue Strength for Pedal Lyre Repair

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 29 08:01:20 MDT 2010

Hi, Paul:
	Usually, wedges are used in the ends of the lyre supports, where they
enter the top block and lyre box.  In addition to glue, these wedges
provide a very tight joint.  Now that the block has been split, the
original strength of that joint has been compromised.  Even though you have
reglued the block, I'd be a little apprehensive about the strength of it.
Sometimes there is a screw driven into the joint, which on the surface
appears to add to the strength, but in fact doesn't do much at all. Putting
new wedges into the ends of the supports is absolutely necessary for the
strength of that joint.   If you didn't remove the supports before you
glued the top block together, I'd be concerned about it.  I would have
disassembled the entire joint, reglued (and doweled) the top block first.
Then removed the wedges (assuming that they were there to begin with),
inserted the supports with glue and driven in new wedges.   I would use
epoxy only, no wood glue.  Once a wood glue joint has been broken, adding
more wood glue won't hold.  It needs fresh wood, and doesn't fill gaps well
enough to provide strength.  Will your repair hold for the next concert?
Probably, assuming you have the pedal supports tightened properly.  The
pedal box must have absolutely no movement whatsoever when you push on it.
Especially since your current glue joint is unsupported with any dowels.
If the pedal box is secure and doesn't wobble, you probably won't have any
problem.  But if it moves slightly, the leverage and stress on the joint
may break it again.
	My take.
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego