[pianotech] Glue Strength for Pedal Lyre Repair

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 29 09:48:19 MDT 2010

I'd guess that Tom's response is 50/50 correct - good chance your glue
job will hold, but I wouldn't bet my kids college fund on it. As Paul
eludes to, a wood glue (i.e. Titebond) joint needs well-prepared
(smooth & properly mating) surfaces for maximum strength - most often
a split piece of wood clamped back together will not provide the ideal
gluing surface (often very difficult to get a perfectly mating
surface). I agree with Paul that this is a situation were epoxy would
be best because of its excellent large gap filling properties. I would
recommend using the West System two-step bonding method for a
situation like this where you want maximum strength.

However, since you have already glued it. I would recommend adding the
dowels perpendicular to the long axis (grain direction) of the top
block - I'd drill them slightly oversize, swab the hole and the dowel
with unthickened epoxy and then add epoxy thickened with high-strength
adhesive filler to the hole and push the dowel in. Use fast curing
hardener and it will be hard as nails overnight.

And then, as Paul pointed out, you have the issue with the supports
(vertical posts between the top block and the pedal box). Either re-do
the original wedges - or, if you didn't get the top block perfectly
back together (the support holes may be larger now), you might want to
just epoxy the posts back in (I hate to do that, but if your top holes
are enlarged, it may be the easiest way out. Or make new supports - or
better yet, make a new top block.

Terry Farrell