[pianotech] Glue Strength for Pedal Lyre Repair

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Fri Apr 30 14:54:29 MDT 2010

Terry,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I did hand drill.  Although the drill felt
pretty tight in the hole when bottomed out I suppose that could be it.  But
it seems more likely the dowel was undersized as you suggest.  I will put a
micrometer on the remainder when I get home tonight, just to satisfy my
curiosity.  The dowel was purchased at Home Depot, and was advertised as
"hardwood;" I assume perhaps maple.  Where does one get a red oak dowel?

Paul Milesi, RPT
Washington, DC
(202) 667-3136
E-mail:  paul at pmpiano.com