[pianotech] Glue Strength for Pedal Lyre Repair

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Apr 30 15:54:04 MDT 2010

Hi Paul,

Occasionally, oak, maple or walnut dowels are available at HD or at a
hardware store, but more often I find I need to go to a woodworking store to
get them - like Woodcraft.  The ones available at HD are often like the
"select hardwoods" used in some piano mfg.  ;-]

When doweling, I like to drill test holes in scrap to get the fit I want,
and don't forget that you can treat these dowels a lot like hammer shanks -
knurl them with a file to slightly decrease the diameter and make
installation easier.

William R. Monroe