[pianotech] Is CA accelerator necessary?

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Dec 3 06:53:16 MST 2010

 Al writes:

When using CA to treat a pinblock, you shouldn't use the accelerator at all. The whole point is to get the CA as deeply into the pin as possible. When you use accelerator you stop the process dead in its track. Big No-No.

 I understood the accelerator to be acidic, since this is what sets CA glue,( a chemist told me that the moisture in the air creates a mild sulphuric acid in the CA when it is exposed to it,  which breaks whatever is holding the polymers in suspension) .
  This would make it a poor choice to spray on the pins, no?
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT