[pianotech] Is CA accelerator necessary?

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 21:40:01 MST 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 6:00 AM, Dean May <deanmay at pianorebuilders.com>wrote:

>  Good responses so far on why not to use the accelerator. There are a
> couple of instances where it is judicious to use acclerator- but only after
> you've let the CA soak as long as you can. If you are treating a vertical
> piano laying on its back or a grand that is flipped upside down, then mist
> accelerator over the pin field or holes to set up any left over puddles of
> CA that didn't soak in. Otherwise, those puddles will turn into drips when
> you right the piano, and one universal law when using CA is that drips
> always go where you don't want them.
>

> **

Sometimes when I use accelerator, it turns the CA white (even when misted).
I'd hate to have that happen anywhere on the plate. I wipe up the drips with
a paper towel and/or Q-tips. Just don't see any need for accelerator on a
pinblock job, although it might be useful if you've flipped a grand upside
down and in a hurry to flip it right side up.

--
JF