[pianotech] Familiarity - hinge pins

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Dec 5 06:58:38 MST 2010

Thanks for sharing Keith. I ALWAYS check hinge pins before opening the
lid on a grand that is new to me, but I have to admit to blindly
opening lids on pianos that I see frequently. I will be more observant
in the future.

I don't usually go over to the flat side of the piano to visually
check hinges, but rather open the lid an inch or so and give it a
wiggle left and right to see if there is any looseness - but I'll do
that on EVERY lid EVERY time from now on!

How did things turn out? Was the lid in good condition prior to your
adventure - and how much damage was inflicted?

Terry Farrell