[pianotech] Hammer softener

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Mon Dec 6 17:23:17 MST 2010

I don't like steam because it does too much too fast. Plus it's a nuisance to set up, and you can get steam burns from it.

These are interesting statements. Perhaps it's the way I do it, but I've never had a burn from the steam. I use the electric hammer head smoothing tool, (p. 46 Schaff), with a wet cloth. I judiciously apply heat to the wet cloth on the hammers, which gives me great control over how much steam is transferred to the hammer. With the wet cloth over a section of hammers, I just barely touch the iron to the cloth, and I hear a little ssttt. I then remove the cloth, put the action back in the piano, and listen to the sound. If the tone is still too bright, I repeat the application as needed, even on individual hammers. If I've over done it, I use the smoothing tool without the wet cloth and the tone brightens up immediately.

But there just isn't enough steam to get burned. The only time I've burned myself is when I stupidly put my bare finger on top of the heated brass head, to add a little pressure.

As far as the set up is concerned, yes, I have to get out the tool, and an extension chord, and find a water source for my bowl of water into which to dip the cloth, and of course wait perhaps 5 minutes for the iron to heat up. But perhaps for some people that's too much of a nuisance.

Wim