[pianotech] now I know what not to ask....thanks

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Dec 10 10:23:28 MST 2010

On 12/9/2010 10:58 PM, Tom Gorley wrote:
> It's an Ibach upright with the damper bar and wires in front of the hammers....making tuning somewhat of a nightmare....trying to get mutes in between strings.  And forget about a temperament strip.  Also getting hammers onto pins is not such an easy task either.  Has anyone worked on pianos like this.

The Papps mute works very well for this. It reaches through the birdcage
wires. You can pluck across the strings with it to find out where you are.

What I did (back when I was tuning them -- haven't seen one in awhile --
was take the action out, remove the left pedal's felt strip, insert the
temperament strip quite low, reinstall the action, tune, then pull the
action forward, pull out the strip, put back in the soft pedal felt, get
the action back in place, and tune the side strings by using the Papps
mute on one side, then pulling it out for the third string.

Susan Kline