[pianotech] Discoloration on S&S sharps

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Mon Dec 13 22:09:24 MST 2010

The customer cleaned his keys often with alcohol. I had this happen at the University of Alabama. A grad piano student was paranoid about catching anything, so she wiped down the keys (mostly the Steinway grands on which she played) with alcohol. Because they were plastic, it didn't do anything to them but she also wiped down the cheek blocks and front rail, which got this whitish haze over them. I suspect that the sharps on your customer's Steinway had ben refinished with black lacquer somewhere along the way.

Take some 4 0 steel wool, and they will clean right up.

Wim