[pianotech] Wing & Sons Upright

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Dec 18 17:00:28 MST 2010

Speaking of pso grands, I just found a nice one for a client with a talented
daughter but no money. It is an old Haines, circa 1920, original finish that
still looks very nice from 3 feet away. It had new strings and keytops put
on about 20 years ago, and I don't know what else. I went to look at it with
pretty low expectations and I was stunned. The action was wonderful, very
responsive and even. The tone was very good (again, decent backscale), nice
sustain, even though it had 2 major cracks in the soundboard with separation
on several ribs. $1200, a real find. The daughter of the client loves it and
is deliriously happy. Life is good.

I looked at another very nice one, 5'7" Kimball circa 1933. Really nice tone
and action. I like those older Kimball grands. Cabinet was C- but the
instrument was A-. But the asking price on it was $3k. Might have been worth
$2500 with a nice finish but not as is. I asked how they arrived at the
price. They said that is what they spent to have it rebuilt 30 years ago.
Hoookaaay. Isn't it amazing how piano owners expect to be able to recoup
every penny they ever spend on a piano.

Dean